Tuesday 5 July 2011

young musicians: aim to reinvent/start new waves in music?

I was born in 1991, in what I think was the golden era of music, making me almost 20, and for a lot of us young'uns, I've come to realise we're the sort of after-birth generation of times when music had purpose and songs actually meant something, and what: all the (desirable) waves have been rode out now (the world's been done already)? Ok, so rather than go about forming a band for giddy-fun/off-the-hook "we're fucked anyway" reasonings, I'm just curious: is anyone actually serious enough in this day and age to want to make an actual difference with music, besides putting any integrity/possibilities aside in favour of conformities/peer pressure etc.? Or is it that you don't believe in yourselves enough (at this point in time) or simply don't have the inspiration or understanding?

As for me, the main reason I'm persuing a career in music at all is because I believe I have the potential to hopefully go far (with a very lyrical/musical mind and a forseeably diverse demographic), and I have this burning desire to somehow create an awareness of how important virtues are being replaced by a sort of false acceptance, with NO sign of letting up (the human race doesn't stop procreating you know)... mind you, I am in a sort of oddly unique position going by my circumstances; the versatile kind of person I am and the premonitions I've raised from it (tho that's purely what I choose to make of it). Call me a visionary or whatever but I think the "grunge" scene needs resurfacing, and not your stereotypical one per se, i.e. drugs and alcohol, but more on an intelligible "do any of you bastards REALLY care" level (going beyond obvious ideals, or appeasing trends). Like what Muse have been doing, but perhaps also making classical piano a forseeable trend for current artists in the process; a genre with obvious merit. After all, OUR time is now, and if you don't wish to be merely another product of your genre, isn't it best to start young and grow from that?

By the way, I'm not trying to rule out any specific styles of music or established scenes, but aspiring to be in a "world changing" band (so to speak) must require a lot of thought and open mindedness, and also a fairly strong will between band members, maybe even fans. But for the vast majority of aspiring musicians, it seems maybe your sights are more set on getting paid (and possibly laid) than using it as a base to progress, possibly going on to achieve unique global recognition? I wouldn't know how or have the interest to sustain that kinda act intentionally myself.

What do any of you other aspiring musicians take to this? Think you can forseeably make more than an impact with music or do you think your/our time's up? Can't be easily done, I know. I'm still trying to get a band together myself, but it feels like I am isolated in my ideals... but then what makes me special anyway...

No comments: