Tuesday 20 July 2010

how I got into songwriting

I've always thought to myself that Feeder were the 'keys' to opening up the songwriter within me. It's funny 'cos before then I never really imagined I'd ever be the sort to write songs... I've always been about the music (playing Final Fantasy tunes on keyboard for instance). Now, collecting my thoughts and song ideas and writing them down is like second nature to me.

So in a way I have Feeder to thank for many things. They were the first band which ever really made me take great notice of guitar music, make me want to buy records, and even make me want to be in a band! Before they came into my life I used to swear by dance/techno/electronica and used to listen, almost religiously, to Clubland music or other mainstream "what's hot" stuff. I was completely oblivious to real music which actually has proper meaning and soul, and only have my upbringing to blame for that! The stuff my parents brought me up on would make anyone crease... David Gray and Boyzone I seem to remember hearing a lot. Ugh. Though there were some not too bad stuff... early U2 for instance.

Before bands like Feeder came into my life, I never knew music could be so engrossing and... magical. It taught me a lot of things about life, in ways I never knew music could. Also, if it wasn't for Feeder then I would never have discovered Ash. I can't imagine what my world would be like without having had these crazy guys in it!

"Songwriter, songwriter, write me a song,
with-which I can relate so I can sing along
Songwriter, songwriter, bring joy to my ears,
with words & melody to see me through the years"
- something quirky I wrote the other day :P

No comments: